Friday, August 28, 2015

"Natural Structure" at Blue Spiral 1, Asheville, NC

These are created of masabi cherry prunings from my garden.
I will have an exciting new body of work in the exhibition "Natural Structure" at Blue Spiral 1, Sept 3 - October 23, 2015. The new work is a collaboration with the fruit trees in my permaculture garden. The fruit trees; masabi cherry, Chinese apricot, belle of Georgia peach, jujube, box elder maple, bittersweet and willow have provided the prunings that I has responded to, manilupated, and embellished. The work began in March when I graft onto my fruit trees, the cut or pruned branches were selectively peeled and shaped to dry. In June I began responding to the branches and they evolved into what I considers mixed media drawings. In addition to the cherry or pear or jujube etc. branches I have incorporated gut, wire, and waxed linen. This new body of work pulls on so many aspects of myself as an artist.

They are presented on hard board panels like paintings and have layers of different shades of white milk paint to create a sense of atmosphere. Subtle layers of words, some physically scratched in like sgrafitto and other written with graphite pencil, are hidden in the layers of milk paint.  The words evoke a sense of a narrative. Historically literary works by writers such as Emerson and Thoreau and many others created a bridge to the natural world, making nature more accessible and bringing the natural world inside thru their words.

This is an exhibition not to be missed. Blue Spiral 1, 38 Biltmore Avenue, Asheville, NC 28801   Mon-Sat 10 - 6, Sun 12 - 5.  828 - 251 - 0202 

No comments:

Post a Comment